About the Series:
The University of Washington Northwest Geriatrics Workforce Enhancement Center (NWGWEC), the School of Nursing and the Seattle Veterans Health Administration Geriatric Research Education and Clinical Center (GRECC) are partnering to bring a series of continuing education programs on geriatric health to health professionals in Washington, Montana, Wyoming and Alaska.
All sessions will be broadcast each Tuesday for ten weeks from 3:00-4:30pm Alaska Time. All session will be broadcast via the University of Washington Interactive Virtual Classroom to Western Washington regional hospitals and host sites in Montana, Alaska and Wyoming. Participants may attend just the sessions they like or the entire series. Registration cost is $10 per session up to $60 for the entire series. Optional CE credits are available for an additional $45. Your registration fee helps to support the continuation of these trainings in Alaska.
Nationally and regionally recognized NW GWEC faculty will present each topic and facilitate discussion. The series will assist providers in developing and enhancing health promotion interventions to prevent disease and postpone further disability for the older adults they serve. This series will give community-based providers working in the field of aging the opportunity to access valuable information without having to travel a great distance.
Mar 28 Dementia
Apr 4 Differential Diagnosis of Dementia, Delirium, & Depression
Apr 11 Dementia: End-of-Life Symptom Management
Apr 18 Safe & Rational Prescribing in Cognitive Impairment
Apr 25 Caring for the Caregiver
May 2 Driving & Dementia
May 9 Using Family Dynamics to Cope with Dementia
May 16 Herbals, Supplements & Dementia
May 23 Healthy Brain Aging & Dementia Prevention
May 30 Maximizing Quality of Life for older adults across the cognitive continuum
Host Site Locations in Alaska (Host sites will be posted as they sign up, Check for frequent updates.)
If you do not see a host site in your area or you are interested in becoming a host site, please contact Geri Heiner at firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Aimaagvk Assisted Living-Barrow
2. Alaska Center for Rural Health-Alaska's AHEC-Anchorage
3. Alaska VA Healthcare System-Anchorage
4. Alzheimer’s Resource of Alaska-Anchorage
5. Alzheimer’s Resource of Alaska-Fairbanks
6. Alzheimer’s Resource of Alaska-Palmer
7. Anchorage Consumer Care Network, Inc-Anchorage
8. Consumer Care Network-Kenai
9. Fairbanks Memorial-Fairbanks
10. Heritage Place-Soldotna
11. Homer Senior Citizen’s, Inc.-Homer
12. Hope Community Resources-Anchorage
13. LINKS Mat Su Parent resource Center-Wasilla
14. Providence Kodiak Island Medical Center-Kodiak
15. Providence Seward Mountain Haven-Seward
16. Sitka Community Hospital-Sitka
17. Senior Services-Fairbanks Resource Agency-Fairbanks
18. Southeast Alaska Regional Health Consortium-Sitka
19. South Peninsula Hospital-Homer
20. Wildflower Court-Juneau
21. Wrangell Medical Center-Wrangell
This series is made possible in Alaska through support provided by the Alaska Training Cooperative, the Alaska Mental Health Trust and the UAA / Alaska Center for Rural Health and Health Workforce-Alaska's AHEC- HRSA Grant #U77HP23073.
Cost depends on the number of sessions you plan to attend: $10 per session up to $60 for the entire series. Optional CE credits are available for an additional $45 fee per professional type requested. The additional $45 processing fee for CE credits is being collected at the time of registration and will be sent to the University of Washington at the end of the series. CE certificates will then be sent out based on the sign in sheets collected at each host site.